W1P1 Research Participation and Design
Paper, Order, or Assignment Requirements
** NO COVER **In 1375 words answer the following:
A. WHAT TO DO
(1) To get a sense of the wide range of research topics, visit both of the following websites:
(2) Choose three research studies in which you will participate.
(3) For each of the research studies, you will be asked a series of questions, until it says that you are done. As you go along, take notes in order to answer the questions below.
B. WHAT TO WRITE
Your written report should follow the following format, and be typed and double-spaced.
a. Begin with a cover page in APA format.
b. In the first paragraph, answer these questions:
1) What is the title of the first research study you participated in?
2) Who are the researchers, and from where?
3) What are the goals of the research study, or what questions is it trying to answer?
4) In what ways does the research study address potential concerns that participants might have? How
does it protect participants’ confidentiality?
c. In the second paragraph, answer these questions:
1) What are three independent variables from the study? Recall from class that these are usually the
questions asking about demographic data, such as gender, age, and so forth.
2) What are the attributes for each of those three independent variables?
3) What are three dependent variables from the study? Remember that these are usually the questions
relating to the research study’s topic.
4) What are the attributes for each of those three independent variables? (If the questions
are open-ended, where you write in the answer rather than choosing from options, state that no
attributes were provided.)
d. In the third paragraph, reflect on the design and content of the research study. Did you find every part easy to understand? What, if anything, seemed confusing, uncomfortable, out of place, or hard to answer? Would you have preferred more or different attributes for any question?
In the fourth, fifth, and sixth paragraphs: For your second research study, repeat steps b, c, and d.
In the seventh, eighth, and ninth paragraphs: For your third research study, repeat steps b, c, and d.
In the tenth paragraph, reflect on your experience as a research participant. To what extent did this match your preconceptions about what a social science research project can look like?
Your score will be determined by the following criteria:
1. The paper fulfills all instructions and its content is an obvious response to the assignment.
2. For each of the three research questions, the responses to questions (b) 1-4 are thorough, detailed, and accurate.
3. For each of the three research questions, there is detailed and thoughtful reflection on design and content.
4. The final paragraph offers detailed and thoughtful reflection on the experience of designing a research survey.
5. There are almost no errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, Variables, attributes, theories, and hypotheses (pp. 46-47 only) in Earl Babbie, The Basics of Social Research, 6th ed. Wadsworth, 2014. ISBN 113359414X